Cats are best known for the cleanliness they maintain with their bodies, but where your house or garden is concerned, they might create quite a mess. You might pet one cat, but not all the cats mean the same to you, and the unwanted cats tend to use your garden as a stop for a toilet or a place where they can leave their mating calling card. Also, they might end up drawing a border or two. Some of these habits which concern you a lot might not end with the stranger cats only. Even your cute fur pet has those, including spilling habits all over your home or clawing the furniture to reach your kitchen worktop. If these are the problems you face with your cat, too, then it is time to consider the best cat repellent. It will not only save you some precious things but will also spare you some peace.
A Best Cat repellent is a harmless deterrent that helps in keeping your cats at bay. These include sprays, ultrasonic devices, and others aiming to move away from the cat safely and ensure any anti-social behavior. You can get confused as to which type of cat repellent you should choose and what way they will improve the situation, and to what degree. Here is making your task easy by putting out the best cat repellent in the market.
PetSafe SSSCAT Cat Repellent
Are you concerned about the continuous scratches of your cat on the furniture? Or is it your cat not respecting the boundaries you set up for it? Then this indoor spray pet repellent from PetSafe is for you to regain control of the situation. It is an odorless spray, and you need to set SSCAT near the place where you do not wish your cat to reach. The sensor of this will trip the moment your cat enters the three feet surrounding. This one is entirely harmless and also tracks the temperature of your cat’s body. It helps in helping your cat learn the no-go zones at the earliest possible.
- Harmless spray repels unwanted cat behavior
- Odorless and non-staining
- Motion & body heat that activates within 3 feet
- Run by 4 AAA batteries
- Brand: PetSafe
- Model: PDT00-13914
- Weight: 3.84 Ounces
Green Gobbler Natural Cat Repellent
To repel the cats safely on the go, here is an all-natural oil-based spray by Green Gobbler. It comes in a handy bottle you can keep on standby. The composition includes cold-pressed orange peel oil along with D-limonene. The non-toxic and chemical-free fragrance of this spray will get your cat running to your garden or yard. Since it is an oil-based spray, it has an excellent value for money.
- Concentrate plus spray bottle with trigger
- Cold-pressed limonene and orange peel oil
- Natural cat repellent and cleaner
- No synthetic scent or dyes
- Brand: Green Gobbler
- Model: CPOO-32oz
- Weight: 1.6 pounds
Orbit Motion-Activated Sprinkler Cat Repellent
Here is a premium pick for the best cat repellent, which has a super-impressive packing and is just suitable for outdoor use, and offers motion-activated protection to your garden or yard. It is ideal for repelling a whole host of animals. In this, the Yard Enforcer uses water to spray towards the unwanted critter. The best part of it is that it works well in both the day-time and night-time.
- Offers 24-hour cat repellent protection
- Three 40ft range detection modes
- 120-degree viewing angle and an intelligent sensor
- Suitable to be used as a garden sprinkler too
- Brand: Orbit
- Model: 62100
- Weight: 2 pounds
Harden Outdoor Scat Mat Cat Repellent
Are you in search of a simple yet effective way to repel your cats and other unwanted animals from your gardens? Then here is an outdoor ‘scat mat’ by Harden. It is a six-mat pack with large-sized mats used to create a floor surface that animals do not like to walk on. These mats are made of translucent plastic and are completely harmless.
- A surface that cats avoid walking on
- Made of translucent and durable plastic
- Measurement of each mat is 16in by 13in
- Good value for a six-mat pack
- Brand: Harden
- Weight: 14ounces
Colton’s Naturals Cat Repellent
If you are looking for organic ingredients even in the best cat repellent possibly available out there then here is a natural cat repellent by Colton’s Naturals. It is readily available in a handy spray bottle of 32 ounces. In this, you only get citronella oil or natural peppermint, and both of them will smell yucky to your cat but are entirely harmless to them or you or your garden.
- Made out of 100% organic ingredients
- Contains citronella oil and Natural Peppermint
- Lasts as long as two-four weeks
- Apt for trash cans, garden furniture, and decks
- Brand: Colton’s Naturals
- Weight: 2.16 pounds
One Sight Cat Scat Mat with Spike
It is a large roll of scat mat with scary-looking spikes but is practical and harmless to your cat or any other garden animals trespassing. Made of durable and flexible plastic, and is designed for outdoor use and contains one-inch spikes to give an uncomfortable surface when stepped on without any aim to hurt their feet.
- Large roll, easy to cut as peruse
- Repelling plastic spikes which are cat-safe
- Suitable for porches, gardens, and patio furniture
- Brand: One Size
- Model: HY050-HM
- Weight: 12.8 ounces
Nature’s Mace Cat Repellent
This ‘Mace’ spray contains peppermint oil, citronella, and lemongrass and is the most accessible and quick way to repel your cat without harming them with any chemicals. It is 100% organic and creates a ‘sensory barrier’ that helps in repelling those cat visitors to gardens. This spray is also weather-resistant and comes in handy to keep the cat visits to your garden in control.
- All-organic and natural spray
- Contains citronella, lemongrass, and peppermint
- Builds repellent barrier as it is weather-resistant
- Apt for gardens, indoor areas, and porches
- Brand: Nature’s Mace
- Model: CATGRN991003
- Weight: 2.94 pounds
Guide to Buying the Best Cat Repellent
Why does one need a Cat Repellent?
No matter how much you love cats, they still own some behavior that comes naturally to them. Some behaviors are less than desirable, some are tolerable, and then there are some which you cannot stand, especially when it comes to your backyard. These behaviors include digging holes, chasing birds, using flowerbeds as their toilet, and marking their territories. These are some obvious and natural behaviors of a cat but can leave your outdoor space a little less useful for you, and you may not like that.
Also, some people are allergic to cats and are concerned about their health after picking something unwanted from cats’ feces or cat parasites. It is all the more unpleasant, especially when the cat is not yours. You definitely will need the best cat repellent in such cases to stay away from those feral cats. An outdoor cat repellent will help you keep your neighborhood cats at bay, and that too with safety. There are indoor cat repellents available, too, to keep your furniture and carpets away from the claws of your pet cat and to train your little pet for a happy and calm home.
What should you look for in a cat repellent?
Before finalizing the best cat repellent as per your requirement, you need to decide upon the location as to where you will need a cat repellent the most. You will need to know whether you are going to use it indoors or outdoors. Another thing you need to acknowledge before buying a cat repellent is whether you require a cat repellent that needs to be plugged into a power source to use or whether it will be a battery or solar power-operated repellent. It will help you choose among the most suitable cat repellents for your situation. Other things that you need to keep in mind are:
- The behavior of your cat: It depends upon your requirement, whether you want to shoo the whole gang of feral cats away from your property, or is there any specific behavior you are looking to get rid of from your cat, like digging up the plants or scratching your patio furniture. You should know what you want your repellent to do for you; only then will you be able to get the most suited product which is both practical and appropriate for the cat-repelling job you want it to perform.
- Durability: These repellents need to be both tough and weather-resistant, made with durable products to give you desired results throughout their life.
- Coverage required: Along with location, decide on the distance you need your repellent to cover. Some devices have different coverage limits, some for small areas and others for much broader areas.
- Pet-Safe Ingredients: See that the product you have decided to purchase contains pet-safe ingredients as you only wish you keep that feral cat gang away from you in any manner but not harmful.
Different kinds of Cat Repellents
- Sprays: There are cat repellents in the form of fountains meant to keep the cats away from your valuable things by odor, taste, or both. Sprays made for outdoor use are more robust than indoor sprays and safe for use near plants. On average, a cat repellent should last for around three days before the need arises to apply them again. Although you will have to re-apply the cat repellent frequently if it is a rainy season or you are watering your plants regularly.
- Granules or powder: If you wish to have a long-lasting effect on the cat repellent, you will need a cat repellent in the form of granules or powder as they come in a more concentrated formula compared to sprays. Also, they are more water and weather-resistant and work effectively on both feral and domestic cats for as long as 20 days.
- Sound devices: It is one of the safest ways to deter unwanted feline interruption in your garden. The sound or ultrasonic cat repellent releases a high-pitched sound that is audible to pesky cats only. They are battery-operated and use infra-red sensors to check the movement and trigger the sound.
How to use cat repellents?
A cat repellent is used to keep those unwanted cats away from your outdoor spaces like porches or gardens. It is wise to use a cat repellent in the flower borders or at the edge of your lawn as it will keep those feral cats from entering your garden for toilet purposes or digging up your beautiful plants. Using cat repellents like cat mats on walls or fences will scare them away way before they reach your property.
Inside your home, you can use a cat repellent designed for indoors like sprays which you can use on beddings, furnishings, carpets, curtains anywhere to repel your pet cat from scratching and clawing at your furniture. If you require even more security for your cat-free spaces in the house, then you can use cat repellents such as a cat mat, which will ensure that your cat never enters that area.
It is suggested that you always use the instructions thoroughly before utilizing any cat repellent as it should also be harmless along with being effective for both cats and humans.
Is cat repellent safe for my pet?
If the cat repellent does not involve any harmful ingredients or materials, it should not be detrimental to using it around your cat or other animals. However, it is always recommended to read the instructions thoroughly and carefully before using them. Also, some safety relies on your end, like not using a cat repellent near a fish tank as it will get mixed into the water or not using it around the young pets.
What smell repels the cats?
Cats are always sensitive creatures and in many ways. They possess have a heightened sense of smell, and certain smells give them a hint to get out of a particular environment at once. Some of the scents that your cat dislikes are citrus aromas, especially lemon, orange, and grapefruit, and all of them act as a repellent to cats. Other smells that a cat hates are lavender, geranium, eucalyptus, pine, rosemary, and pepper. Ensure that you conduct proper research as some natural ingredients can also be toxic, like lavender and mint.